Monday, December 8, 2008

The Labor Policy Writers Respond

It was only a matter of time, but the architects of the labor policy have replied and they claim that the previous comments by the business sector are far off base and not completely true. Additionally they claim that the business sector is concentrating on the negative aspects of the policy and not the positives. Sounds like the business sector is trying to win favor in the public by playing victim.

The architects claim that the policy is consistent with all the islands in the region as well as the wider world, the regulation and protection of not only those of us carrying Dutch passports but those with permanent or temporary residency as well. This was unknown to me in my previous blog.

What this means, if properly enforced, is the exploitation that defines our labor force will be curtailed. Now some might be against this but I am all for it. I think it will be better for the island if EVERYONE living and working on the island is able to afford a decent apartment or house with indoor plumbing and a working septic system, all this while they are able to send money home to help their families. Of course this will not stop our sewage problem but that’s another blog.

My concern is that for years now Government has accepted “gifts” from the business community to ‘sell’ labor permits, while using it to further their political careers, along with handing out bus licenses, land and other political favors. Are we to believe that the very same politicians will actually allow this policy to be implemented 100% or will they use loopholes?

The architects claim the policy is transparent and I hope it is because a lack of transparency is what is plaguing this island. I say hope because I was unable to find it on the websites advertised. Let’s hope that it is posted by the time I post this.

www.governorsxm.com is suppose to have it but I can’t find it. If you do let me know.

No comments: